[CT Birds] My first Hummer!!

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jun 30 15:57:52 EDT 2009

Congratulations, Barbara!  We actually get two influxes of  hummers in the
state.  The first, of course, is when the migrants return,  from early April
to late May.  The second starts right about now, when the  nestlings from
the early breeders have fledged and are driven away from the  parents'
territories.  It's quite likely your bird is a juvenile (male or  female look the
same), looking for a nice place with a good food supply to spend  the
summer.  Last year I found an active hummer nest in August, but that  was
obviously a second nesting or a bird that had not been successful in the  spring.
Of course yours could just be a wandering bird.  I  noticed in your earlier
post that you mentioned that you had one feeder.   As you can see now, that
works, but generally you have better success if you can  put up two or three.
 If more than one bird arrives they will fight forever  over one feeder.
Of course, if there are other feeders nearby, that  will solve the problem.
Hummers are wonderful creatures, and I hope you  enjoy watching it.

Don Morgan
Coventry