[CT Birds] Hammo, 6-30-09

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jun 30 16:35:17 EDT 2009

Relatively quiet today, but still a nice variety of  birds.  From the new
observation platform east of Willards Island,   still many nesting LEAST
TERNS on the barrier dune toward the Moraine Trail, and  I saw 2 fluffy white
nestlings, 1 being fed by an adult.  Nestling is  probably a misnomer, since
they were both running around in the  sand.
At the east end of the Moraine trail I observed 4 Common Loons  swimming on
the harbor side of the line of rocks that extends to the east.   They were
all staying quite close together and it appeared to me that   there were 2
adults and 2 juveniles, a little smaller and more mottled.  I  saw no sign of
either the King Eider or the Surf Scoters, in fact nothing at all  in the
water on the sound side.  It was a bit choppy with a stiff southeast  wind.
I saw no sign of the Cattle Egret(s).
Location:     Hammo BSP
Observation date:   6/30/09
Number of species:     42