[CT Birds] Notes on bird numbers from a NH hike

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 30 22:02:07 EDT 2009

A few weeks ago I posted a note about a hike I did up Mt. Moosilauke in New
Hampshire on 5/30. I wrote that I was surprised by the low number of
Swainson's Thrushes I heard. Well on June 15/16 I hiked the Kilkenny Ridge
further north in the White Mountains. I climbed up Mt Cabot and stayed
overnight and I then hiked Mt. Waumbek on the 16th. I covered a total of
about 19 miles in the mountains and I have to say the number of Swainson's
Thrushes I heard and saw was very reassuring. It's fascinating to experience
the progression of species as you climb. At low elevation you hear Wood
Thrush and perhaps Veery. Then Hermit Thrush soon takes over as you climb.
When spruces start to become more numerous at mid elevations the Swainson's
Thrushes become dominant and the Hermit Thrushes are left behind. Finally at
around 3,500 feet (give or take) when it's all spruces, Bicknell's Thrushes
start to show up. I was very pleased to encounter many Swainson's Thrushes
on this hike as well as quite a few Bicknell's Thrushes as well as many
Yellow-bellied Flycatchers. Blackpoll Warblers, Black-throated Green
Warblers, and Black-throated Blue Warblers were simply abundant along the

You can check out more about the hikes, Bicknell's Thrush, and a mountain
breeding bird survey at my blog "Naturally New England" at