[CT Birds] Willets galore in flooded Great Meadows

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 30 22:31:55 EDT 2009

Tonight (6/30 at 7:30pm) on the way home, I drove down Rt 113 in Stratford near the airport and was astonished to see the Great Meadows Marsh completely flooded (except for the few phragmites hammocks). The phase of the moon (1/2 moon) and the lack of the predicted severe thunderstorms (though skies looked threatening) said that the water level shouldn't have been this high.  I did a scan with bins and scope and tallied:
45 WILLETS, including two chicks (1/3 the size of adults) on the highest blades of spartina grass.  The rare flood stage allowed for a pretty accurate breeding season count.
1 GREATER YELLOWLEGS
5 YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS
2 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS
And at Short Beach, there were 50+ LAUGHING GULLS, many more Ring-billeds, and about 35 COMMON TERNS.
Frank MantlikStratford