[CT Birds] Nest predation

Shelley Harms shelleyharms at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 1 12:22:30 EDT 2009

Hi CT Birders -
I'm seeing a depressing amount of nest predation.
Hooded mergansers were nesting in our wood duck house - something opened it up and split the eggs & strewed the nest everywhere.
My neighbors found a ruffed grouse sitting on her nest.  When they brought me to see it, there were feathers & eggshells scattered about.
I just found an adorable little red-eyed vireo nest with three eggs.  The next day, eggs and bird were gone.
Is it me?  When I find a nest, so do the raccoons & blue jays?