[CT Birds] Nest predation

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Jul 1 12:31:50 EDT 2009

Predation is not at all uncommon in the natural world and is one reason that adequate habitat is needed to produce enough offspring of a given species to allow some of those young to grow up and reproduce.   Subadult mortality is also a huge factor in many species.  Additionally, higher quality habitat can reduce predation pressure, e.g. distance from edge of habitat, more choices for nesting site, less cats and other human-adapted predators...

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes we can lead predators to the nests we find, through scent trails or by making an actual path to a nest, or an opportunistic predator watching us go to a nest, which is one reason to avoid close approach to active nests.

Sometimes we have to help matters a bit as in the case of predator exclosures for Piping Plovers or predator guards for nest box poles, but in many cases there isn't much we can do (keep cats indoors though!).

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Connecticut