[CT Birds] Willets galore in flooded Great Meadows

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 1 14:55:00 EDT 2009

Frank (and others),

The tides lately have consistently been well above predictions - even without immediate downpours, there has been so much rain in the region that river flows are undoubtedly up (and soils are probably well saturated, exacerbating run-off).

This link should give you the actual vs. predicted heights for Bridgeport for the last week:

It appears that the evening tide on 30th was a good 25-30 cm (i.e., +/-
a foot) above prediction.  Our experience is that this is not too
unusually when it is rainy in June, though the highest tides often happen at night when we can't see them.  Good times to see rails ... does bad things to bird nests
though.  A precursor of what we can perhaps expect from sea-level rise.

If the above link doesn't work, you can go to this site, pick the station you want and then adjust time frame, etc. on the page it takes you to:

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net