[CT Birds] Pachaug State Forest 7/2/09

Brian Hiller mudbat13 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 3 09:17:18 EDT 2009

During yesterday’s daytime rabbit telemetry in Pachaug State Forest in North Stonington there was a lot of bird activity.  Although I’ve been hearing several males calling each time I go, yesterday was the first time I was able to actually see two different male Hooded Warblers (I saw a female too).  Here are some of the other species I encountered:

Hooded warbler-                      3
Red-eyed vireo-                       8
Wood Thrush-                          5
Eastern Towhee-                      7
Worm-eating warbler-              3
Black and White warbler-         2
American robin-                       3
Northern Parula-                      3
Gray Catbird-                           4
Chipping Sparrow-                   3
Tufted Titmouse-                      5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher- 2
Northern Cardinal-                   1
Veery-                                     1
Ovenbird-                                1
White-eyed vireo-                    1
Yellow-throated vireo- 1
Baltimore oriole-                       1
Whip-poor-will-                       1 (calling briefly)
Common yellowthroat- 1
Cedar waxwing-                       2
Brown-headed cowbird-          1
Black-capped Chickadee-        5
Downy woodpecker-               4

During last night's telemtery there were a total of 5 Whip-poor-wills calling.  Last week at this location I watched two different birds hawking insects from less than 15 feet away.

Brian Hiller
Willimantic