[CT Birds] Peregrines and a TV observation

David.F.Provencher at dom.com David.F.Provencher at dom.com
Fri Jul 3 11:08:44 EDT 2009

The Peregrine Falcons at Millstone Power Station in Waterford have fledged
2 young. I also saw one of the Goldstar Bridge Peregrines sitting on a
light fixture at 9am this morning. Being at the apex of the bridge, the
bird could be said to be either in Groton or New London at that moment. I
suppose based on its orientation, one could say the back of the bird was in
New London and the front of the bird was in Groton!

Wednesday as I was leaving home a rain shower was starting. As I was
driving past the power lines that run behind the condos I saw a Turkey
Vulture atop the cell tower that nestles among the transmission lines. It
was taking advantage of the rain shower to bathe. The bird was holding its
wings out and forward, very much the way a Reddish Egret does at times when
foraging. It also had arched its back and neck and elevated it tail to
allow the rain to get to all its feathers. The arch of the back was very
very pronounced and the tail was really pointed at an odd angle. Overall
the vulture presented a remarkable appearance and the pose was one I've
never seen executed to such an extreme degree. Of course I didn't have any
of my cameras with me.

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.