[CT Birds] "New" Piping Plover location

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Fri Jul 3 12:42:47 EDT 2009

This morning, thanks to a tip and some help from Dave Zawisha, I observed 4
 recently hatched (but not yet fledged) Piping Plovers with one adult
plover at a  mainland site farther West in Fairfield County than I have ever
observed  a Piping Plover nest site before. I don't want to disclose the  exact
location, for obvious reasons. It is a surprising location and there has
never been string fencing erected there, to my knowledge. Suffice it to say
that the nest location is between Bridgeport and Darien. Dave told me that he
 has seen Piping Plovers there annually for the last few years while he was
 fishing.  Perhaps they also nest on the mainland all the way down to
Greenwich, but I am unaware of it if they do. I reported this site to Miley Bull
 and Julie Victoria by email.

There were tons of "sand eels" in the water near shore, but not a tern in
sight. Cormorants were feasting on them though.

On the way home, we stopped in Fairfield at the Pine Creek Saltmarsh  area.
 There, we were very surprised to see 2 Gray Fox -out in the  open in
daylight - at the far end of the soccer field along the marsh edge.  This was
only the 2nd time that I have ever seen Gray Fox - coyotes and the  occasional
Red Fox are the more usual sightings for me.

Charlie Barnard
Stratford
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585087x1201462804/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=