[CT Birds] Cape Cod Bird Club Pelagic Trip - September

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 14:12:17 EDT 2009

Hi all, here's info about a pelagic trip out of Provincetown in September:

Join members of the Cape Cod Bird Club for its first ever Pelagic Birding
Trip out of Provincetown, MA on Sunday, September 27, 2009.

This trip is part of the club's 4th Annual Birding Cape Cod Weekend Event.

The cost for this trip is $60.00 for members and $75.00 for non-members. The
trip is limited to 110 people. This trip will be cancelled if the quota is
not met. Boarding will begin at 8:30am. We will depart at 9:00am and return
at 3:00pm.

Expert birders Blair Nikula and Peter Trull will be calling out the birds
for us. We will have great opportunities for viewing Greater, Sooty, and
Manx Shearwaters, Northern Gannet, Black-legged Kittiwake, and Parasitic and
Pomarine Jaegers.

Other possibilities include Northern Fulmar, Cory’s Shearwater, Wilson’s and
Leach’s Storm-Petrels, Red-necked and Red Phalaropes, Sabine’s Gull,
Long-tailed Jaeger, and Razorbill. In addition to pelagic species, the first
migrant loons and sea ducks should be in evidence and, if the weather
conditions are favorable, a few migrating songbirds might also appear.
Though the main focus will be on birds, we might possibly see Humpback,
Finback, and Minke Whales, Atlantic White-sided Dolphin, Basking Shark,
Bluefin Tuna, and Mola Mola.

The 75 foot Dolphin Fleet vessel has a heated main deck with a full gallery
and bar. There is bench seating on the main deck as well as open seating on
the top deck and railings all around the perimeter. The interior cabin has
seating for over 100 passengers and the cabin is centrally heated and
air-cooled. There are clean modern restrooms aboard and the boats area

A signed waiver is required for this trip. To download a copy of the waiver
and for more information on this trip and other events for the weekend go
to: http://www.massbird.org/ccbc/BirdingCapeCodWeekend2009.pdf