[CT Birds] Fall migration

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Jul 5 17:11:38 EDT 2009

I thought some of you might be interested in this post I lifted  from the
RIBirds list.    It is from an observer on Block  Island:
"Last evening there were a few hunderd cory's shearwaters  foraging off the
south end of the island in a narrow band that extended SE-NW  for ~1-2
miles. I estimated a conservative 400 cory's and about 5 greaters were  seen. It
was truly spectactular!
Reading the MA & NY lists confirm that this is an excellent year for
I had my first southbound short-billed dowitcher on the third, and
yesterday I observed a pectoral sandpiper come in over the water from the
mainland. Fall migration begins! And I heard woodcock displaying, still!, last
-Tom M."
Don Morgan