[CT Birds] Common Terns

Stacy Hanks flybird at optonline.net
Sun Jul 5 23:08:47 EDT 2009

I have followed the posts concerning the lack of breeding Common Tern colonies here on our CT shoreline and thought this may be of interest...
I just returned last week from Great Gull Island, NY. Every year I volunteer a week of my time to help with the banding of the Common Terns out there. The numbers of breeding Common Terns and Rosete Terns are about the same as last year. As a matter of fact, they had one of the earliest Common Tern nests ever. And it seems as though things started a bit earlier this year as far as 'peak' in hatchings.
Stacy Hanks