[CT Birds] Bird Butcher

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Tue Jul 7 21:46:07 EDT 2009

Hi Folks,

I ran across this article in an old Bird Lore and the brutality over
bird shooting just amazed me. Sometimes the “Good Old Days” weren’t
so good.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

State Game Warden Killed by Robin Hunter

Frank Aldino 33 years old, of Brooklyn, N. Y., recently has confessed
to the police in Newark, N. J., that it was he who shot and killed
State Game Warden William T. Cramer in the woods near Jamaica, Long
Island on September 29. Following his arrest, he was held in the
county jail in Newark pending extradition to New York to face an
indictment for murder in the first degree which was handed up in Long
Island City by the Queens Grand Jury.

It is doubtful if a more brutal killing of a game warden is on record
than that of Warden Cramer, who lost his life in the conscientious
performance of duty. Cramer and a companion warden, Joseph Allen, of
Port Washington, had gone into a  piece of woods near Jamaica in
order to investigate the reported killing of Robins and other
songbirds. Here they found a man shooting Robins. He was arrested
without resistance, and the two wardens taking their prisoner with
them proceeded in the direction of where they had heard gun shots.
They were soon confronted by a man who , after exchanging a few words
in Italian with the prisoner, leveled his shot-gun at Cramer and
fired from a distance of a few paces, shooting Cramer in the face and
killing him instantly. Thereupon a desperate struggle ensued between
the man and Warden Allen who was beaten and severely injured. The
prisoner and his companion at once made their escape, and later,
Allen succeeded in dragging himself to a poliece-station. Immediately
a careful search was begun for the criminals. All efforts were futile
until more than a week later, when Aldino was arrested as recounted
above.

This deplorable incident serves to emphasize anew the great menace to
our wild bird-life which exists in our immigrant population from
southern Europe.  Accustomed all their lives in their native lands to
killing song-birds for food , it become a most difficult task to
break them of this nefarious practice. Seldom a day or week passes
that some member of friend of the Association does not call up, or
write , informing us of the killing of song birds in the Metropolitan
District by this element of out population.

Birdlore Volume 31 Page 437