[CT Birds] Painter Hill Rd (Topland Farm) and Upper County Rd, Roxbury

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 11 07:53:31 EDT 2009

I had no luck with the sedge wren at the Topland Farm on Painter Hill Rd (PHR) in Roxbury this AM (11 July). I arrived at telephone pole #834 a little after 5:30 AM and was there until  after 6 AM. I noted that birders had been going into the field to search for the sedge wren. I did not bushwhack into the field as bobolink and red-wing blackbird both breed in this field. Folks please do not bushwhack into this field, one is more likely to hear a sedge wren then to actually see it (and one can count a heard bird). Being somewhat hearing challenged now the sedge wren may have been there but not heard by yours truly  I then went over to Upper County Rd (UCR), a dirt road east of the Topland Farm that connects to the south to RT 317 (Good Hill Rd). The north end of Upper County Rd has a view of the back side of hay field where the sedge wren is reported to have been. The south end of Upper County Rd includes Roxbury Land Trust land. I then came
 back to Painter Hill Rd to look for the sedge wren. There was another fellow looking for the wren when I came back. I stayed for about 20 minutes longer but still no sedge wren. My list of birds in the area is below:
Killdeer - 4 (on the north side of PHR)
Mourning doves
Barn swallows (on lines to the west of the Topland Farm and flying about)
American crows
Eastern bluebirds, numerous
American robins
Downy woodpecker (UCR)