[CT Birds] Swallows

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 6 14:12:03 EDT 2009

7/6, Stratford yard-
(4) NRW Swallows
I was outside with my mother and heard some Rough-wings calling, and saw 4 doing some hawking over head.  My mom told me she heard them the last few days also.  They were around here in early spring (last year too), but this is the first time I've seen them here in a while....  perhaps getting ready for their trip home??
The male Hooded warbler has picked up his singing substantially.  From what I can find, I guess they are actually sing a lot.  The one in my woods sang a bunch for a while, then only at certain times (early morn, mid-day).  Now he is singing a bunch now....  teaching the offspring maybe?  I've yet to hear or see anyone other than mom and pop....
And all the baby mantids can't be called babies anymore.... some are 2" now.  It is amazing to me how fast they grow.  From the size of my pinkie nail May 30th, now at 2".  And there are certainly plenty of bugs for them to eat (aphids!!!!  aaah!!).
I also had an Osprey fly-over near Guilford on I-95 this morning around 11.  As well as a very pale looking juv. Red-tail on a lamp post around exit 70 (?).
-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com