[CT Birds] Pileated Woodpecker

louise tucker louise40pt at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 7 10:26:17 EDT 2009

You never know!  10  walk from my house in a small park about 7:00 am, I heard, then saw a gorgeous adult Pileated Woodpecker!   The bird hung around, calling and eating for about a half hour. It had a beautiful red crest, but I couldn't see any red in the malar area. I had good views. It seemed to be comfortable in the area. I think it might be nesting. I have lived nearby since 1981 and had all the common CT woodpeckers except this one.

The park is across the street from Nathan Hale school on Taylor Road ( the road that leads to the prison) in Enfield, CT, off route 190. You can park in the small lot by the swings and slides, the follow the paved path past the tennis courts (now skateboard practice ramps) to the small stream where there are 2 benches. The bird was hanging out in the treeline across the stream. The trees border private property. The park is used quite a bit by dog walkers, mothers and small children, skateboarders. The birds there are used to people. At 7:00 this morning it was fairly quiet.

Louise P. Tucker