[CT Birds] Unusual Junco - white on breast and white tail

Robert Maleski Maleski at msn.com
Tue Jul 7 11:45:07 EDT 2009

I was on top of Mount Holyoke in MA yesterday and I saw a dark eyed junco with a semi circle of white in the gray area on his breast.  He also had a completely white tail. I saw three tail feathers, all completely white. I watched him for about three minutes and he was on the ground about twelve to fifteen feet from me.

If they have five tail feathers it is possible that he was missing the top two leaving three white feathers exposed. One of his tail feathers was slightly angled.

The white semi circle in the solid gray area was unmistakable.  Has anyone heard of this before?