[CT Birds] Hammo, 7-10-09

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Jul 10 20:34:55 EDT 2009

Spent a few hours at Hammo this AM before the crowds got  too big.  As it
was I didn't make it out the moraine trail because I  couldn't park anywhere
near it.  The female Northern Pintail is still in  the rock pond, but the
male hasn't been seen for a couple of weeks now.  I  think I may have been the
last one to see him as I was watching the pair when he  took off and headed
out over the sound.  She never even looked up.  As  far as I know he hasn't
been seen since.
As I headed out to Willard's Island I noticed a lot of  SHARP-TAILED
SPARROWS going back and forth in the marsh to the west.  It  looked to me like
several were young ones, so perhaps not all the nests got  flooded out.
A few bad pics of them here, still had the best looks at them  today I've
ever had:
I also saw a NORTHERN HARRIER out over the marsh, being very  much harried
by at least half a dozen Red-wings and a couple of other  birds.  I think a
Harrier is unusual for mid-summer.
At the Willard's Island platform I counted 15 OSPREY  visible at 1 time.
One was a chick in the nest (big as a chicken now) and  some were way out,
only ID-able with a scope.  I think the chick got banded  today, as I saw four
people and a ladder out at the platform to the left of the  entrance road.
There were Glossy Ibis scattered all over the marshes, and I  saw one
LITTLE BLUE HERON at the swan pond near the rotary.  A Great Blue  Heron was
there as well.  One Common Tern was fishing at that pond today,  elsewhere I saw
only Least Terns.   I heard but did not see a  Brown Thrasher at Willards.
 Otherwise, the usual summertime  suspects.
Don Morgan
**************Looking for love this summer? Find it now on AOL Personals.