[CT Birds] Stratford ospreys

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 13 09:44:57 EDT 2009

7/13, Stratford yard-

(3) very vocal Osprey flying overhead

I had one osprey fly-over a few days ago, then 3 this morning (8:40a).  The group this morning were lazily circling around and calling a lot.

I've seen osprey over my house before, in March and around this time last year.  I'm wondering, as I did last year, if there is a nest on/near the Housatonic in the vicinity of Sikorsky.  Last year I saw them the most while driving on the big loop at the end of the Milford connector which brings you to Rt-15 south.

I always thought that those marshy islands in the Housatonic wouldbe a cool spot for an osprey platform.

As far as the yard goes, House and Carolina wrens have been around a lot recently with their fledglings.  Yellowthroat, House and Goldfinch, Downy WP and Catbirds have all brough young ones to the yard or wood edges in the last 2 days.

Yesterday a noisy Red-shouldered hawk disturbed a juvenile Red-tail and it's parent while they enjoyed the sun a top a large powerline structure.

I have also been enjoying nightly Wood thrush singing lessons.  At least 3-4 singing/calling at once... maybe more.

Quick insect question.....   is this a moth or a butterfly?  And which one?

This photo was taken towards the begining of this month in the Aspetuck Land Trust orchard in Easton, where the Scissor-tail was(n't).  I also had an amazing adult Cooper's hawk there that day.

http://picasaweb.google.com/MOJOrisin16/ButterfliesAndOtherInsects#5357938286738475090

(I also have several unidentified dragonflies and butterflies in that folder my gallery.  Maybe if someone has time they can take a gander......)

-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com