[CT Birds] Terns from Falkner Island

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Jul 15 12:06:09 EDT 2009

There has been a lot of discussion about the bad year that terns are having in Connecticut this year, so I wanted to pass along some good news.

I saw Rick Potvin from the McKinney NWR the other day and he reports that Falkner Island is having a great year.  There are 45 pairs of Roseate Terns nesting this year, which is the largest number in many years, and they are headed for good productivity, i.e. fledging young.  Common Terns are tricky to track out there because there are just so many of them (3000+ pairs, well over 90% of Connecticut's nesting Common Terns), but indications are that they are also having a good year in terms of numbers and productivity.

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Connecticut