[CT Birds] Where are the Petrels?

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Jul 16 13:53:39 EDT 2009

First let me start by saying once again that I stopped listing some time ago. Furthermore, I also have seen and heard a lot of heated arguments (by people who really ought to save their emotions for more important things imho) over what state a bird actually was in. So while I agree in spirit with you Dennis, if birders want to participate in any formalized listing group, they are going to have to live with the listing rules of that group, such as ABA listing rules. So birds seen over water, whether marine or fresh, will have to conform to some rule set defining what state or country they will be listed as occurring in. Additionally there is the issue of documenting species status for political and economic issues that will hinge on the documented occurrence (or non-occurrence.) Boundary lines are of course human constructs. But people are people and listers are listers. So if you say any bird over Long Island Sound counts for CT, all you'll end up doing is changing the question from "Did it cross the GPS point that marks the boundary?" to "Did it cross the water's edge as it flew down the beach?" In effect it only moves the line the lister is concerned about.

Oh, and I would not suggest proposing to NY listers giving all LIS birds to us CT birders. They actually have quite a bit of interest in LIS birds in NY waters and they would probably consider you one of satan's minions for raising such heresy!