[CT Birds] Nesting Eastern Wood-pewee 7-15-09

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Jul 16 14:36:10 EDT 2009

A couple of weeks ago, In Mansfield,  I happened upon a  flycatcher busily
going back and forth to a nest.  However, she never  stayed there, so I
assumed she was still building it.  Wednesday I went  back to see and she was
sitting on the nest, obviously incubating her  eggs!  I was not sure what
species she was when I first saw her, but after  examining my pictures and
checking nesting preferences she is obviously a  Pewee.  Lots of sun/shade/wind
problems up in the trees (the nest is  probably 50 feet or more off the
ground)  but I did manage to get some  pictures of her.  I look forward to going
back and checking for  nestlings.  Apparently the male does not take part in
the nesting process,  as I never saw a 2nd bird, and she would occasionally
leave the nest for about 5  minutes, presumably to find lunch.  Pics of her
can be seen here  :
Don Morgan
**************Can love help you live longer? Find out now.