[CT Birds] more Wilson's Storm-Petrels

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 17:15:46 EDT 2009

>From Andy Griswold, Jim Denham, Glenn Williams, Nick Bonomo:
7/16 - Eastern Long Island Sound, offshore between Niantic Bay and Thames
River - 10 WILSON'S STORM-PETRELS (CT waters, but many likely crossed the
line back and forth).

These birds came right in to our chum slick, just off the stern! They were
really too close to 'digibin', so I just used the 4x zoom on my
point-and-shoot camera to get a couple halfway-decent pics and a brief

We also had a few peeps and dowitchers migrating south while we were out
there, plus a fresh juvenile Ring-billed Gull (my first of the season).

Here are some migration notes from today. The shorebirding is still slow:
Old Lyme, Watch Rock - 1 Semipalmated Plover, 16 Least Sandpipers, 1
Semipalmated Sandpiper, 3 SB Dowitchers.
Old Lyme, Griswold Pt - 4 Semipalmated Plovers, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 7
Least Sandpipers, 15 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 18 SB Dowitchers (incl. one
'hendersoni'), 2 Ruddy Turnstones, 1 Roseate Tern, Common Terns (mostly
adults, many fresh juveniles, 2 first-summer, 2 second-summer)
West Haven, Sandy Pt - 3 Least Sandpipers, 3 SB Dowitchers, 1 Black Skimmer,
only two Common Terns

Nick Bonomo
Orange, CT