[CT Birds] Singing in Sedge Wrens

Mark Szantyr birddog55 at charter.net
Sat Jul 18 01:33:09 EDT 2009

I have heard a lot of discussion about the two Sedge Wrens in South Windsor
around the idea of this being a breeding pair.  Both birds are singing and
according to the monograph on the species in the Birds of North America life
histories, only the male sings.  Males do engage in counter-singing and
often with two different song-types.  It seems to me that this is what is
happening.  Some notes about seeing nest building, again, is a part of male
behavior and not direct evidence of breeding.  As far as I am aware, no
evidence of a female has been brought to light.

Mark
Mark S. Szantyr
80 Bicknell Road #9
Ashford, Connecticut 06278