[CT Birds] Pine Siskin

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 18 18:22:04 EDT 2009

7/18, Stratford yard (8:15-9:00a)-
(1) juvenile Pine Siskin at BOSS
The bird came on and off for about 45 minutes, often getting scared off onto nearby rooves.  My last siskin here was in May.  I was able to snap some photos.... very messy eater.
Blackbirds have inundated my yard/area over the last 2 days.  20-30 Cowbirds with about 5-10 Grackles at all feeders.  2 Cowbird fledglings trying to fandangle themselves on a chain hanger to get to the ports on one of my hummer feeders.
Also have had an one adult male and one juvenile RT hummer loving the recently bloomed phlox, gladiolus and sativas.  My feeders (and flowers) went lonely for about a month, as no one chose to nest close enough.
I've been seeing more and more Monarchs around recently.  One this morning in Shelton, and a couple at Strong Rd and Cabella's yesterday.  My first sighting this year was about 2 weeks ago in the Aspetuck orchard in Easton.

-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com