[CT Birds] Shorebird migration begun

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Mon Jul 20 09:32:39 EDT 2009

There have been some exciting things going on at Penfield Reef in Fairfield. I have been getting noisy flocks of 40+ Common Terns, with at least a third of them juveniles. Also, I have seen some very interesting behavior. There were 3 snowy egrets with the flock of terns this morning, and they would fly out from the jetty, hover over the surface of the water like a storm petrel, snatch food from the surface, and then fly bak to the jetty. They reminded me of Storm petrels or even flycatchers. Has anyone ever seen this behavior before? Also, shorebird migration has finally begun at Penfield Reef! Today, I looked out and saw my first shorebird of fall migration, a spotted sandpiper!!!

James Randall