[CT Birds] Sunrise Bird Walk - Startford Saturday

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 15:27:13 EDT 2009

HI All,

A little late on the report but a couple of sightings of note I thought so here they are:

Long Beach Blvd, Stratford: Common Raven -? the second time I have had Raven there in the last few weeks. Amazing how their range seems to be expanding. Just a couple of years back I was surprised to get one as far south as Wilton in Fairfield County. Also of note at LBB were Brown Thrasher, An beautiful male Northern Harrier walking out on the marsh looking for all intents and purposes like a Caracara (Did they breed here this year?). The scrape had a small flock of peeps that were in the grass that weren't visible on the deck to ID - Spotted Sandpiper with them was easy to ID in flight (a shame that the scrape seem to have become too overgrown to be of much value as a shorebirding site - anyone know if there is any plan to anything about this?)

Access Rd, Stratford - Both Yellowlegs, 1 Solitary Sandpiper and a few Leasts. Over at Great Meadows we had a flock of 30+ Dowitchers fly over and the good numbers of Yellow-crowned Night-herons continue.

Also if anyone is any good with moth ID's can you help? I had a cool moth in my yard? yesterday (a sphinx type perhaps) and have a picture on my blog. Anyone want to have a guess as to what it is: http://underclearskies.wordpress.com/2009/07/20/yard-moth-id-suggestions/

Luke Tiller, Wilton