[CT Birds] Yellow Warbler Migration

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Jul 21 20:51:07 EDT 2009

Luke you're right that a lot of the Yellow Warblers we see in September or later are of the northern subspecies amnicola. The bird you had in November was probably an immature and very greenish right? I have a photo somewhere of a bird I saw at Hammo in November many years ago. I have used that photo a number of times in presentations and I have asked the birders present to identify it. I think I've had one or two birders get it right and all the others guess Orange-crowned because it was drab and green. And Greg is spot on with his comment. It has always seemed to me that when birding the first big push of southbound shorebirds you always hear the calls of Yellow Warblers flying over!
in error, and delete it.  Thank you.