[CT Birds] Birdwatchers No Featherweights in Contributions to Economy

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Fri Jul 24 09:51:40 EDT 2009

Hi Sara et al.

I must say I always find this kind of report somewhat amusing. I'd love to know what defines someone as a birdwatcher to get the figures that they come up with of 48M participants (I can barely imagine how loose a definition that is). Also having lead the Sunrise Birding trip to MT and WY this year (wonderful states with great birds: Great Gray Owl, Ferruginous Hawk, Chestnut-collared Longspur, Pinyon Jay, Lewis's Woodpecker, Black Rosy Finch etc etc etc) I find it very surprising to find Montana is one of the most 'birder' rich states, as digging up the latest information on what's around is very difficult for most places (unless you have contacts there already). It really makes you appreciative of the amazing resource we have here in Connecticut in the shape of this very active listserve.

Luke Tiller, Wilton
www.sunrisebirding.com