[CT Birds] Brown Pelicans off Long Island

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 26 10:37:17 EDT 2009

A minimum of 5 Brown Pelicans have been seen on the south shore of Long
Island this past week. The last time there was an incursion of multiple
Brown Pelicans on the south shore (10 years ago? 15?)  we managed to have a
few show up in CT waters. I saw one sitting on the breakwater off Stonington
point. Stonington Point would be a good place to watch but Pelicans were
seen singly at a few spots all along the coast. Now obviously there is no
guarantee any will show up in CT waters but I just wanted to put the word
out. While I'm at it, Cory's Shearwaters and a Sandwich Tern were seen from
shore in southwestern RI. The 1995 Little Gull seen from Millstone Point in
Dennis's report was mine and highlights that we are entering a very
interesting period as arctic breeders are moving south. Jaegers in
particular could show up almost anywhere there is water. In CT they seem to
never stay more than a few minutes or are seen as flybys only alas.

The Little Gull I mentioned before was first seen the day before by my two
oldest children and I as we canoed between Bluff Point and the Groton/New
London airport. It flew down the river and as it approached us I got pretty
excited and loudly told my kids "Little Gull, Little Gull!" as it flew right
alongside us and only 10 ft off the water. They were 11 years old (son) and
9 years old (daughter) at the time and they really couldn't have cared less.

Dave Provencher

Naturally <http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>  New England