[CT Birds] Brown Pelicans off Long Island

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 26 12:02:22 EDT 2009

Hi Dave,I've been searching for pelicans (and any other rarity) along the Stratford/Milford and Westport coasts.  Every time I go to Short Beach I look over the breakwater, navigation markers, and tidal flats for unusual cormorants, pelicans, gulls, terns, and shorebirds.  So far in recent weeks I've had Caspian and Forster's Tern and 3 Whimbrels.  I keep expecting Roseate, Royal Terns (and hoping for Arctic), as well as Bonaparte's or similar gulls.  Southbound shorebird numbers are building now.  Milford Point too is an excellent place to check on a regular basis.
As August quickly nears, other species to be watched for along the coast are things like Sabine's Gull (very rare, but there was one - along with Little and Black-headed - up in S. Maine or NH for several days two weeks ago), stints, godwits, phalaropes, petrels and shearwaters.  Also rare egrets/herons.  There have been 3 different Roseate Spoonbills in the Delaware/New Jersey area in recent weeks.  One interesting juv. snowy egret I found the other day had a pale yellow base to the bill (as illustrated in Sibley), enticing me to rule out rarer species.
Yes, northern breeders and non-breeders already heading south,  southern breeders exploring feeding grounds to the north, western breeders wandering east (note the male Western Tanager a week or so ago, and the chance for a really rare hummingbird at your garden or feeder), it can be an interesting season.  Keep your eyes to the skies.
Frank MantlikStratford