[CT Birds] fledged coopers

cekroth at comcast.net cekroth at comcast.net
Sun Jul 26 17:02:02 EDT 2009

7/26, Ellington, for the last three years, COOPER'S HAWKS have nested across the street from my house.  Lately i've heard the plaintive whistle of the young begging for food, and today there were at least two in the pine trees in my yard.  There was another bird but I didn't get a good enough look at it to determine if it was another young or an adult.  The two I'm sure of were probably females based on their size.

Last weekend two were hanging out in a tree eating on a bird carcass ( I don't know what kind but it had a long leg) when the two adults brought more eats.  One of the young did the wing spread over it's prey.  Pretty neat thing to see.