[CT Birds] Acadian Flycatcher Lyme

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 26 23:29:45 EDT 2009

Went for an evening hike in Nehantic State forest today with Mary Gardner
and we encountered a singing Acadian Flycatcher. We did this same hike a
week or so before and I have done it alone several times this Spring/Summer
and not heard this bird. This makes me suspect it is a wandering bird, a
phenomenon which is not uncommon this time of year. Maybe it bred somewhere
nearby, or is an individual that did not breed successfully. Also noted on
this hike was a singing Hermit Thrush which has been present all year and is
a presumed breeder (fairly far south in CT for this species), and several
calling Barred Owls.

One last note, I have not heard or seen a single Cuckoo in Nehantic this
summer (usually a very good place for them) despite hiking somewhere around
40 or 50 miles on the trails. Yet yesterday, while catching and
photographing dragonflies for about 7 hours in Pachaug State Forest in
Voluntown, I had 4 Yellow-billed Cuckoos and 1 Black-billed Cuckoo in a
relatively small area. Another example of these species being found
where-ever the prey is on a given year.

>From Mary Gardner and Dave Provencher:

07/26/09 - Lyme, Nehantic State Forest - ACADIAN FLYCATCHER singing below
beaver pond in forest interior.

Dave Provencher

Naturally <http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>  New England