[CT Birds] Cooper's hawk/late Raven report

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 30 08:37:43 EDT 2009

7/30, Stratford yard (7:45a)-
(1) adult Cooper's hawk soaring a bit, then vocalizing as it dove under the tree line.
7/28, huge cell tower in cut on Chapel St, across from my house in Stratford-
(2) Common Ravens
Quick non-birding quesion...  am I right in thinking these are Black swallowtail larvae?  Would a praying mantis eat them?  I found 4 on my dill a few days ago, they were present yesterday before the rain, but gone this morning.  And in their place is one of the 3 mantis that decided to stay in my garden.  Although there has been one patrolling the veggie area for weeks now... surely there when the larvae were.
When I touched one of the larvae, it rolled back it's front end and extended out these two orange antennae looking things and it seeped out a greenish/orangish/brownish liquid... which I assume is to stop me from eating it.  Really cool.
I had planned on covering the dill plants this weekend to watch them grow into butterflies, but now they are missing.  Hopefully the rain just washed them off and they are on the ground, making their way back to the dill.
-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com

NEW mobile Hotmail. Optimized for YOUR phone.  Click here.