[CT Birds] Sunrise Bird Walk - Trout Brook Valley

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Aug 1 20:52:45 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Had a very nice morning out at Trout Brook Valley (no Scissor-tailed). Nothing that rare to report but just a lovely day to be out. We hiked to the orchard which is always abuzz with activity this time of year with the Blueberries coming into fruit with multitudes of orioles, waxwings, flycatchers and other partaking in the feast (we even had a few ourselves). Highlights included 4+ Orchard Orioles, 3 Solitary Sandpipers (rain pools near farm house), a pair of Kestrels (nesters? maybe more likely wandering instead of breeding?). Other nice sightings included a probable migrant Redstart (not long now for warblers) and a few butterflies of which a Red Admiral decided that I would make a good salt lick!!!

Out of interest I was sent some pictures of a rather interesting looking gull from Tina Green (who is on Cape Cod currently). If you like poring over difficult to identify gulls then these pictures might be for you. On the blog at http://underclearskies.wordpress.com/2009/07/29/bizarre-looking-gull/

Luke Tiller, Wilton
www.sunrisebirding.com