[CT Birds] Charles H. Williams

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sat Aug 1 21:19:13 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

I need to dip into the well of your communal knowledge.

In one publication:
Job, Herbert K. 1922 A list of birds observed in Litchfield Co. Conn.
Compiled through 1908 and contained in the Sport of bird study.

I found an intriguing comment.:

"—Mr. Charles H. Williams, of Winchester. for more than thirty years
he has studied and collected, and the amount of his information,
notes and specimens is astonishing. Though a man of culture, he has
done this in obscurity and without publishing anything. purely from
love of Nature. His written data and specimens abundantly prove his
rare records.  Unfortunately when I visited him his collections and
notes were packed preparatory to moving, so that in many instances he
could not give me exact dates of records, but he has them in most
cases. This "List" and myself are both greatly his debtor."

Is there anyone out there familiar with this person?

Did his records find their way into the UCONN or Yale Libraries?

Dennis Varza