[CT Birds] question on fledged coopers

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Mon Aug 3 20:21:41 EDT 2009

According to Hawks and Owls of North America by Donald S. Heintzelman:
"Young male Cooper's hawks leave the nest when 30 days old, females when 34 days old. However, the juveniles return to their nest for prey and roosting for another 10 days. Juvenile hawks also continue receiving prey from their parents for another 7 weeks."
We had a family of Cooper's in the area a few years ago (2 males and 2 females, going by the fledging info). The young had all fledged by July 4th, but we continued to hear/see them in the yard until July 29th. After that, the whole family moved off.
- Tammy Eustis, Chester