[CT Birds] Tuesday, 8/4, White Ibis at Silver Sands SP, Short-billed Dowitchers

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Aug 5 08:24:39 EDT 2009

I took a trip yesterday to see the Ibis, arriving about  9:15.  I only saw
a few in the air and 4 on the ground during the morning,  although I did get
some unusually good looks at some Marsh Wrens.  I headed  over to Milford
Point for a while, and was able to see the Short-billed  Dowitchers.  Looked
to me as though there was at least 6 of  them.
I went back to Silver Sands, and sure enough, the whole Ibis  flock was on
the grassy area to the left of the road just before the stop sign,  slurping
up nightcrawlers or whatever at an unbelievable rate.    Didn't take long
to spot the White-faced Ibis just by scanning the flock.   I agree with
Mark's assessment of the differences between the 2 species,  although I think the
green/purple highlight coloration depends to some extent on  the angle of
the birds to the sun and to you.  When looking for the bird  the easiest
thing to check is the size. The WFIB is definitely as small or  smaller than any
of the adult Glossies, although there are a couple of apparent
birds-of-the-year (black looking) that are smaller.  Of course the Red Eye  is the most
definitive marking, although the pink area above the bill is also
distinctive.
I can't compete with Mark's excellent photos, but here are a  few pictures
that Illustrate the difference between the 2 species, WFIB always  on the
right:

http://www.photoshop.com/user/mntncougar/?wf=share&trackingid=BTAGC&galleryi
d=b2ce7e4a7fff4d388154ac5dd236b4bf

Don Morgan