[CT Birds] Sharon Audubon Festival this Weekend

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Aug 5 14:25:34 EDT 2009

This weekend is the 42nd Annual Sharon Audubon Festival.

Summary below, but for more details and a complete schedule please see:

Saturday & Sunday, August 8th & 9th.  Gates open 8:00am Saturday, 9:30am Sunday.  $7.00 adults, $5.00 children 12 & under.  No pets allowed

     Welcome to the 42nd Sharon Audubon Festival, the longest running festival of it's kind in the country. It is because of the countless hours offered by dedicated volunteers, local naturalists and exhibitors and due to the generosity of the businesses who advertise in this program and help to support the annual efforts of Audubon Sharon that the Audubon Festival continues to be a much anticipated community event. Thank you all for your support!
      This year's theme is Connect, Respect, Protect. These are the core values of Audubon Sharon's mission. Through education, research and land stewardship, we strive to provide connections that enable people of all ages to build a respect, appreciation and understanding of the natural world that leads to a desire to protect and preserve it.
      Many fun and exciting activities are happening throughout the weekend to help you and your family Connect, Respect and Protect. Learn to identify and understand the trees, plants, reptiles and other organisms that make our area their home. Discover ways to enhance habitats through native plants, nest boxes and invasive plant control. Our program leaders are experts in their fields, many of whom return to the Festival every year to help you interpret the ever-changing natural world. In addition to scheduled programs we have added new on-going exhibits and activities, vendors, music and special events. There are programs and activities for all ages and experiences making this an ideal event for families and experienced naturalists alike. Our feature performances include the very best in animal programs, children's theater and musical entertainment. We are also offering raffle tickets for a very special locally hand-made quilt to help support our programs. As you explore the Audubon property and experience the Festival, we hope that you will take home a new perspective towards what you can do to be more environmentally conscious in your daily life.  We hope you consider sharing your appreciation for nature with your family members and friends and that you take advantage of all Audubon Sharon has to offer year-round! Thanks for coming!

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Connecticut
pcomins at audubon.org