[CT Birds] Cape Cod/Stellwagen Bank-Red-necked Phalaropes

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 6 18:19:14 EDT 2009

8/6-Provincetown,MA-Stellwagen Bank

This may be of interest to Ct birders who are coming to the Cape in the immediate future.Carolyn Cimino and I did a whalewatch this morning in hopes that she would get to see shearwaters,petrels,and possibly jaegers and,of course,whales during her visit with me in Wellfleet.

After not seeing much from shore at Race Point and Herring Cove,we boarded the Dolphin VI at 9AM with high hopes and were not disappointed.Shortly ater passing Race Point Light,we spotted 8-10 Red-necked Phalaropes sitting on the water-a huge surprise.We also had 25-30 Wilson's Storm-Petrels,50+ Cory's Shearwaters,1 Parasitic Jaeger,and many Least Terns.

The "show" the Humpback Whales put on was nothing short of spectacular.We found oursleves in the middle of a feeding frenzy of at least 15 of these gentle giants.Even the crew and naturalist were amazed.Don't miss it if you're coming to the Cape!!

Tina Green