[CT Birds] Another Stratford volunteer event August 12th

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 00:54:36 EDT 2009

On Wednesday, August 12th, several people from this list are planning to
hold an informal trash pickup in southern Stratford. The plan is to meet at
Stratford Point at 8:30AM. The idea came from Annette Cunniffe, Meredith
Sampson, and Tina Green. They noticed how much trash had piled up around
some of the areas of the Great Meadows IBA - in particular, Frash Pond and
the Access Rd. pool.

The area along the causeway, as well as Long Beach Blvd. pond, the railroad
trail, and the warehouse pools area could use some help, too. We would also
love to have Stratford Point cleaned up, as the perimeter has been
unfortunately filled with trash this summer. It's a great chance to see the
site if you haven't been here before, or lately, and to meet a few people,
too. There is a good chance that we will be able to secure a dumpster thanks
to Annette, giving us the opportunity to get a lot done.

Anyone interested can email me privately or simply show up at Stratford
Point next Wednesday at 8:30. If you don't know the area, have questions,
suggestions, or you'd like more details, please feel free to contact me. I
would advise anyone who wants to come to bring bug spray, water, trash bags,
sunscreen, gloves, etc. Covering up is probably a good idea.

Don't worry about getting wet, dirty, or dealing with rough terrain - nearly
all of this can be done by simply walking public access areas. It's not a
very difficult task, but it is time consuming, and it would be much easier
if we had a bigger group. If the need arises, I'll be the one who gets
soaked/covered in mud. I sincerely hope everyone who is willing and able
comes out. It's a great chance to do a lot of good by just giving a couple
hours of your time.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Connecticut Audubon Society