[CT Birds] Possible hybrid White-faced x Glossy Ibis also with flock at Silver Sands

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 7 13:32:54 EDT 2009

I'm with Frank on this one... I thought the White-faced looked just a wee bit larger than the accompanying Glossies.  It was cloudy and rainy when I was there, but I could still make out more of a purple hue on the wing/back area as opposed to the greenish of a Glossy.  To me, it was clear the bird was on its way to non-breeding plumage... a bit of grey streakiness on the side of head/face, and only a bit of the actual 'white face' seemed obvious.  Even in the cloudy conditions, the eerie red eye was visible.  More so in different angles.  Sibleys says that the White-face can appear a bit larger.  My opinion is that some of the near-by Glossies may have been smaller juveniles, and I agree that it may have been more 'fluffed' due to wet, colder, and windy conditions.  Thanks again for the lifer, Frank!   -Brian Webster-