[CT Birds] Carolina Wren - Nesting?

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun Aug 9 09:07:40 EDT 2009

Carolinas - at least in my experience - will do a second nesting in a season. We currently have a nest with at least 3 babies inside, tucked into my Mom's window box. The resident house wrens also produced a second brood this summer, in a nestbox in our front woods. I was surprised to see both wren families nesting so close to each other at the same time - always assumed there was a little rivalry between them.
This site has some great examples of the odd places Carolina wrens will nest: http://www.sialis.org/nestscarolinawren.htm.
- Tammy Eustis, Chester