[CT Birds] Wooster Park, Stratford

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 10 10:54:39 EDT 2009

8/10, Wooster pond/trails in woods (7:50-9:30a)-

I came upon a nice little warbler wave up the first small path going to the right when going down the trail behind the pond, and I finally got some decent photos of Worm-eating warblers. The Waterthrush was seperate from the group.

(3) Chipping Sparrows
(1) E. Towhee (in open-er area on top of hill in woods)
(2) Warbling Vireo
(1) Baltimore Oriole
(1) Green Heron
(1) Great Egret
(3) Wood ducks (1 adult male, 2 juv.)
(2) Worm-eating Warblers
(2) Black-and-white Warblers
(1) Yellow Warbler
(1) Blue-winged Warbler
(3) Yellowthroats
(1) Northern Waterthrush  (Thanks to Charlie B's help on a recent LAWT I had, I was able to ID this one fairly easily as a NOWT.)

Everyone besides the Vireo and Yellow warbler was up some photo modeling.

Something interesting I was watching were several goldfinches landing on the exposed mud-flats on the real marshy part (right end) of the pond, and drinking form tiny puddles.  It made for some really nice reflection photos.

There was also a Northern watersnake (I think one of the reddest coloring I've seen on one), a 15"+ snapping turtle and a few red-eared sliders.

(Twan, I bet your tiny duck was one of the woodies.)

-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com