[CT Birds] Stratford Point Peregrines & shorebirds

twan leenders tleenders at ctaudubon.org
Tue Aug 11 15:36:08 EDT 2009

3PM - juvenile Peregrine Falcon, patiently sitting on flagpole while mum or dad is zipping around trying to grab some food. There were about 3,500 shorebirds (mostly semipalmated sandpipers, but also 100+ semipalmated plover, 100+ black-bellied plover, 20+ short-billed dowitcher (including one long-billed dowitcher yesterday - not relocated today), sanderling, ruddy turnstone, dunlin, and possibly more) tucked in below the lighthouse at high tide - quite a few menu items to choose from!  I did not have time to look for the Philadelphia vireo, but the 9 bobolinks Scott reported earlier are clearly present still.

Come see them tomorrow while you help clean up our shoreline and wildlife refuges!

=======
Twan Leenders
Conservation Biologist
Connecticut Audubon Society