[CT Birds] Stratford, Long-billed Dowitcher

chasbarnard at aol.com chasbarnard at aol.com
Wed Aug 12 14:01:57 EDT 2009

>From Charlie Barnard, Annette and Daniel Cunniffe,

Annette, Daniel and I managed to to see the previously reported (Frank Mantlik, Luke Tiller and possibly others) Long-billed Dowitcher at the Stratford Marina today. Since we had close looks (about 55') through a scope, we were able to make out some finer details including the fine?barring, rather than spotting, on the chest. This bird was remarkably long legged for a dowitcher, ?as well as long-billed. The photo on Luke's blog (Under Clear Skies) does show the long leg length well, even though the bird was quite far out when that photo was taken. The bird is still largely in breeding (alternate) plumage.

Charlie Barnard

Stratford