[CT Birds] Hummer Question

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Aug 13 13:44:51 EDT 2009

Brian, ideally it is undesirable to introduce any chemical into a food source, regardless of how little. If the Hummingbirds are already finding the feeders then do you really need to heighten the color? If you do use the sharpie then use it on a part of the feeder that won't come into contact with the birds or with the nectar solution.

The best way to allow the most Ruby-throats to feed is to use multiple feeders spread around as far away from one another as possible. They are VERY territorial and they indeed have been known to actually impale others. Hummingbirds have to be some of the most pugnacious critters going. I was imitating a Spotted Owl once in Washington State and a Calliope Hummingbird almost impaled me. He succeeded in making the "owl" go away now that I think of it.

Dave

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.