[CT Birds] Black Terns, Western Sandpipers, Stratford

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 15 20:50:28 EDT 2009

>From Frank Mantlik
8/15  Stratford, Short Beach Park, 5:00 - 5:15 -  2 BLACK TERNS foraging on the wing over the mouth of the Housatonic River.  One was a dark-bellied adult, the other was a white-bellied adult or juvenile.  Also, c. 500 Common Terns, flocks of hundreds of shorebirds, 2 PEREGRINE FALCONS in aerial sparring.  I also saw Chris Loscalzo (I think) out kayaking with and viewing the terns.
Rt. 113 marsh pool, near entrance of Sikorsky Airport, 5:30 - 2 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, both in almost basic plumage, though still showing some belly streaks and with broad-based bills.  Also a juv. Snowy Egret with a yellow based bill.
Access Rd. pool (opposite R.E. Michel) - 1 Solitary Sandpiper