[CT Birds] Eastern Wood-pewees

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Aug 10 19:44:55 EDT 2009

I checked on the Eastern Wood-pewees I have been monitoring this morning,
and the chicks are no longer in the nest. I saw no sign of them, but at
least  one of the adults is still around. I saw one hawking flys for a few
minutes, and  also saw one with a nice fat worm in its beak. Its possible that
the nestlings  have fledged, but I'm worried that something has happened to
them. Today would  have probably been the 15th day since they hatched. I first
saw them on Monday,  July 27th. The day before, the mother was just sitting
on the nest at 2:30 in  the afternoon, with no sign of anything happening.
I last saw them on Friday,  August 7, but they still had vestiges of their
baby down on them at that point.  Pictures of them I took then can be seen
here:

_http://www.photoshohttp://www.http://www.http://ww&<WBR>tracki<WBR>&gallery
id=galleryid=<WBR>3galleryid=<WBR>3_
(http://www.photoshop.com/user/mntncougar/?wf=share&trackingid=BTAGC&galleryid=3994986f5378495392ae7bb103cafca2)

Anyone  have an opinion as to whether they could have fledged two days
later?

Don  Morgan
Coventry